RE ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST CHURCH, HIGHTER BROUGHTON (Manchester Consistory Court: Spafford Ch. 20 September 1986)
A faculty was sought for the removal of certain fittings and ornaments from a parish church built in 1839 to another church and to a proposed chapel in a community centre. The parish church was dangerous owing to deterioration of the structure, and redundancy or demolition was under consideration. The parishioners were opposed to demolition. The Chancellor hoped that a faculty would not extinguish or lessen the chance of continuing to use the whole or part of the building for public worship; but it was necessary to take precautions against vandalism. A faculty was granted for the removal of the choir pews, altar, organ, vestry furniture and some congregational pews to the community centre (where there was a room suitable for use as a chapel), providing public worship was transferred there. The remaining congregational pews and the stained glass windows were to be removed only if the church building was finally to be closed for public worship; the glass might, however, be stored if vandalism could not otherwise reasonably be prevented.
(1988) 1:2 Ecc LJ 37