Re: Holy Trinity, Colton (Carlisle Consistory Court; Stinson Ch. 2 July 1988)
An Archdeacon's Certificate was granted for the re-wiring of the church, lit by pendant lights. The lighting had been given in 1944 in memory of a deceased parishioner. A plaque recorded that the lighting had been given as a
memorial. In the course of the work the pendant lights were taken down and a demonstration given of the advantages of tungsten halogen lighting for the 16th century roof. A faculty was thereupon sought to remove the pendant lights (save one in the north transept) and to install tungsten halogen floodlights. The Diocesan Advisory Committee recommended the change. The petition was opposed by the surviving members of the deceased's family and by a churchwarden. No cases were cited to the Court. The Chancellor held that artefacts such as pendant lights given as a memorial could not prevent advantage being taken of advances in technology. On the Petitioners' undertaking to erect a plaque below that existing to record that between 1944 and 1988 the church had been lit by the pendant lights and that in 1988 a faculty was granted for their removal and replacement by floodlights
(the wording on such plaque to be approved by the Court) a faculty was granted.
(1989) 1:4 Ecc LJ 6