Re: Holy Trinity, Stratford upon Avon (Coventry Consistory Court; Gage Ch. 11 March 1989)
A faculty was granted for the modification of a pipe organ involving the relocation of parts of the instrument and the elimination of some stops. On any view the organ was in need of substantial repair, but the objectors wished it to be restored to its pre-existing condition. The organ was of historic importance, having been built by William Hill in 1841 and thereafter extended. The Chancellor accepted the expert evidence adduced by the petitioners that there were defects in the existing layout of the organ, and concluded that the alterations would produce an improved instrument. The external appearance of the organ would remain unchanged. The cost of £200,000 was not unjustifiably great, since the parish was used to dealing with much larger sums of money than the average parish, and the treasurer was confident that the whole sum required could be met by way of a special appeal. A faculty was accordingly granted, on condition that any discarded parts of the organ should be stored and not sold without the leave of the Court.
(1989) 1:5 Ecc LJ 5-6